Sunday, June 19, 2016

Beekeeping ~ Day 3 at the Flow Hive (June 19, 2016)




Removing the Shipping Package from the Flow Hive.Rather than shaking the bees, I removed 4 frames and placed the package inside with the opening UP.

(Click the arrow to play the video.)




Inspecting inside the Flow Hive.  I should have said "Foundationless Frame" not Frameless Frame.  Frameless Frame just has a bar at the top.  You can hear our peacocks calling in the background.

My iphone ran out of memory while shooting video, so we didn't get to show finding the queen or her laying eggs.  There are photos below though.

(Click the arrow to play the video.)




Using the smoker to calm the bees while I remove the shipping package box and check to see if the queen has been released from the queen cage.


Here's the empty queen cage with a worker bee on top.  They've released the queen into the colony.


The queen cage is now empty.  The bees have built a bit of burr comb on the back of it.


With the bee package in place, only 4 frames were in the hive.  Since I removed it today, I placed another 4 frames into the hive for a total of 8.  I used a mix of frames with and without wax foundation.  Shown above is frame #3.  The bees have already built comb onto this frame without foundation.


Frame #2
There's lots of activity going on here.



Another shot of the honeycomb built on Frame #3.
Isn't it gorgeous in the sunlight?


Looking for the queen on frame #1.  We finally spotted her busy at work laying eggs in the cells.  The bees have completed a good bit of work for such a short period of time.  I have a feeder in the hive super but have seen them collecting pollen from the clover and various flowers in our yard.  They've been collecting out front by our koi pond and I'm sure are ranging even further.


Here's the marked queen by the white arrow.  She has a white dot painted on her and came that way from the breeder.  It does make identifying her easier.  Obviously, she is bigger than the other bees but she was moving rapidly over the comb laying eggs.  At times, she was almost covered by worker bees as they complete their various tasks.  It made photographing her rather challenging.

Note the bee larvae there by the red arrow.  

Everything went well today except that the smoker didn't stay lit long enough.  When my daughter Kaitlin bent over to relight it; there was a bee behind her knee and it stung through her jeans.   Lesson learned to next time use the bee brush before bending.  I sent her up to the house to take care of her leg and she applied a dab on Benadryl that I keep in my purse.  There was very little swelling and no stinger to remove.  I'm guessing that the stinger didn't go in completely.

I didn't get stung at all, but of course was fully suited up.  I'm not so impressed with the smoker pellets.  We added newspaper the second time along with the pellet and that seemed to work much better.  There were a LOT of bees on those frames and they were not at all aggressive but interested in doing their tasks.  Some people could learn a lot from bees.  I.E.  When one is busy concentrating on the work at hand; there's no time worry about what others are doing.

The bee feeder was about half way empty, so I'll be refilling that in a few days.  I'll do a quick peek in the brood box but imagine that it will be a couple of weeks before they'll need another box with frames.  Maybe, I'll be surprised?



"The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgment of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.  More to be desired are they than gold, yea than much fine gold:  sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.  

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer." 

 Psalm 19 select





#PollinatorWeek2016

No comments:

Post a Comment